Tuesday, May 26, 2009

L'Ennui

– noun:
a feeling of utter weariness and discontent resulting from satiety or lack of interest; boredom:

- a word which very delicately yet effectively says, "I'm boooorred!" while taking an elegant sip of fizzy wine.

I look around me and see my friends all steeped in the same quagmire of ennui-dom. There are no movies to watch, the elections, IPL and American Idol are all over... and all of us (even people like me who weren't remotely involved in any of the three) are wondering "what's next?"

My day job has now been taken to a point of no recovery. I don't care anymore if i sell more toothpastes or soaps or medicines or insurance, or even that i need to try harder to sell more of the same for clients who are making them. Really. I'm pretty sure someone else can do a better job than me, and i'm not ashamed to admit it. It's truly soul-sucking to be considered a great salesman. It implies artifice. Yes, i'm knocking the great capitalist aim to increase profits and, in these days of the recession, it's bad manners to suggest that there's more to life... But really, i hope to God, there's more to mine.

Now all i need to do is become un-ennui-ed long enough to figure out what that may be.

Sigh.

No comments: